Scantech quality and control systems (QCS) are manufactured with open architecture and modular equipments or devices that communicate through an Ethernet TCP / IP network.
"Open" means that Scantech equipments are designed to freely communicate with customer computers and systems.
Scantech concept of modularity is based on the following three (3) main characteristics:
- 1. The equipment must be independent and self-sufficient. This means that it completely fulfills the task for which it's been designed to perform.
- 2. The equipment modules can flexibly be assembled in the order that achieves the best configuration that suits the customer's application.
- 3. The equipment itself is designed in a modular fashion.
Independence and self-sufficiency:
This is a very stringent requirement because it sets a specific task to each device. This implies that each device is equipped with its own intelligence (computer). It also minimizes external wiring, that is to say, there are only power and network connections. Examples:
- The scanner's function is to measure. It must therefore produce accurate measurements by itself, with the correct physical units, useable by other QCS equipments, or by the customer.
- The control system function is to compute set-points and to apply them.
- The function of an operator interface is to drive a QCS system. It must therefore display measurement data, accept commands, display status and reports. But in no case, be involved in the manufacturing process or in the measurement computations.
Assembly of the modules:
The Scanners, Control Systems, and User Interfaces must be able to be assembled in any quantity for different network topologies.
The equipments themselves must be designed as an assembly of sub-modules in order to achieve a high level of standardization.
Each device must be equipped with configurable communication ports and also be able to support major market standards for the data exchange such as OPC.
These aforementioned qualities provide Scantech customers with very important benefits:
- Reliability: Is the result of the high level of standardization.
- Ease of maintenance: In addition to component standardization, it is a direct result of the segmentation and distribution of tasks.
- Reduction of spare parts stock.
- Scalability: Our approach allows easily the addition of new equipment to any initial configuration.
- Long term sustainability: Is also a direct consequence of the modularity of the equipment.
Scantech offers three main types of equipment:
- 1. Scanners, whose task is to provide the necessary measurement data needed to control the manufacturing process and to determine the quality of produced materials.
- 2. , whose function is to drive the manufacturing line so that the production parameters measured are within the customer defined tolerances of quality.
- 3. (such as operators, production supervisor, maintenance staff or quality manager… ) drive the scanners and control systems (commands, parameters, status…) and display quality parameters in real time. They also provide statistical processing, reporting, and archiving amongst a lot of other functions.